Saturday, September 25, 2010

Japanese Classic Car Show

A couple of weeks ago I found my trip to Southern California was over a weekend when the Japanese Classic Car Show was being held in Long Beach. I've owned a few Japanese cars over the years and thought this event might bring back a few memories. Only in California will you find Datsuns and Toyotas never sold east of the Mississippi. I saw well preserved sedans, station wagons, and pickups I've never seen before. Lots of Datsun 240Z cars and a bunch of Datsun 2000 sports cars. Mazda was represented by a number of early RX7 models in showroom condition and a couple of rotary powered pickup trucks from the early seventies. The interesting Toyotas included a 2000GT and a big sedan that had a sign on it with "JDM Palace" written on it. Besides the pristine originals were a few highly customized show cars and race cars. It was great to see a show dedicated to the admiration and preservation of foreign cars that were not then or now priced for only those with deep pockets. The passion was evident in the crowd attending this event. When I arrived there were about 200 people in line to get tickets and two hours later when I left the line was still that long. Southern California seems to have admirers of everything foriegn or domestic that has wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment